Monday, July 16, 2012

Lean into it

Marie's husband drove me down to the airport yesterday. He asked me if the apprenticeship had been everything I thought it would be.

Leaving Brooklyn 2 weeks ago I really had no idea what it was going to be. To be honest, I was excited but also quietly worried that I was going on a fools errand. What sort of a person my age does an apprenticeship anyway? I was lucky to have enthusiastic friends who pushed me on through my trepidation.

When I got to the gate, the agent announced that they were taking volunteers to be bumped to tomorrow flight. I can always use a flight voucher so I stepped forward. They ended up pulling 9 others off the flight due to the weather (the plane was too heavy) and gave us each a night in a local hotel. Close to me an older couple from England where complaining, and the wife was gently crying. She was tired and wanted to get to her destination.

It occurred to me that I'm getting a little better at dealing with unexpected situations these days, to enjoy the ride of going into something unknown. To lean into the discomfort, the unknown, the unexpected and embrace it.

Plus, it gave me a chance to watch a romantic comedy in my hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment