Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Catch-up

Yesterday, my friend Johanna and I drove up to Sonoma county and toured around a bit. Johanna and I met freshmen year of collage as roommates, nearly 20 years ago. Some old lady in the admissions office put us together, and cosmically altered both of our lives. We became fast friends, and lived together in college. She followed her boyfriend and future husband to San Francisco, and I followed and fell in love with California. For the past few years, I've only seen her for a lunch here and there; A quick catch up and gossip session.

So far on my creative sabbatical, I've really mostly been playing catch up with all the friends that I'd left on auto-pilot for the past few years. I'm guilty of the notion that old friendships just are, and don't need watering.  In the last 2 months, it's been so incredible to reconnect with my people, and to remember how important those connections are in my life. To sit on the floor, drinking cups of tea, playing with their kids, and just chatting. The past week has been a hard one for me, and I've been sort of blown away by the love and generosity I've felt. From putting me up in their granny apartment, to letting me be a constant third wheel, to reaching out with a loving email or phone call. It's amazing how much strength we can draw from our loved ones, and how they help us reconnect to who we are as an individual.






No comments:

Post a Comment