Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Why the hell not?



It's been a really long time since I wrote, but this morning on the second day of 2013, I thought I would read over the entire thing and take stock of 2012. Sitting on the top of Bernal Hill yesterday, my sister-in-law asked me if 2012 had been a good year. Honestly, it might have been one of the best years of my life, but also one of the hardest.

My brother and sister-in-law have a really nice tradition. Every January 1st, they climb up to the top of Bernal Heights hill. They bring along a list of goals they wrote last Jan 1st and take inventory. Then, they write goals for the next year. Very practical and sensible, just like the two of them.

I'm not good with goals. I have a tendancy to break them and then feel bad. Instead, I like guidelines. Last year, I decided during a drunken new years party I decided that my 2012 mantra would be 'Let it be what it is'. At the time, I had no idea how my life was about to dramatically change and how that mantra would actually get me through the whole thing in one piece.

I was sitting there yesterday on the top of that hill, trying to come up with a zen-like mantra, a new guide for whatever life throws at me for 2013, when Margie piped up with her 2013 mantra. They had gone on a trip to Turkey about 5 years ago, and their guide was prone to saying 'Why not!?', and she'd decided to adopt it for herself this year.

"Why not!?"face your nay-saying, flinching mind squarely in the eye? "Why not!?" say yes to life and embrace the possibilities? "Why not!?" act a little more youthful and irresponsible than you think you should? "Why not!?" travel across America in a vintage Shasta trailer?

"Why the hell not!?", my new 2013 mantra. Let's see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment