Friday, April 27, 2012

Rules of Improv


If you've read Tina Fey's book, Bossy Pants, you know about her “Rules of Improvisation That Will Change Your Life and Reduce Belly Fat”;
Now, obviously in real life you’re not always going to agree with everything everyone says.  But the Rule of Agreement reminds you to “respect what your partner has created” and to at least start from an open-minded place.  Start with a Yes and see where that takes you.
As an improviser, I always find it jarring when I meet someone in real life whose first answer is no.  “No, we can’t do that.”  “No, that’s not in the budget.”  “No, I will not hold your hand for a dollar.”  What kind of way is that to live? (Bossy Pants)
I always thought that I was a 'yes'-er but lately I've begun to accept the fact that I have a pretty bad flinch problem. My heart says 'yes!' but my critical mind comes up with all sorts of logical rational reasons for saying no. But one of my rules of engagement was to be open to the possibilities, so I'm going to need to change that big-time.

My friend, Ryan, is an inspiration to me on this front. In addition to having his own branding company, Ryan made the resolution in January to make 10 films this year. 10. Seriously. Ryan's one of those guys who always helps out and has fun with it. He's the living embodiment of saying 'yes'. Since January, I've seen him collaborate on a documentary style short for my boyfriend's new gallery, Field Projects, as well as direct a sizzle real for our friend Chip.  Ryan's not just making films, he's literally helping his friends reach their dreams. It's pretty wild. And he does it all with this sort of humble dude, of course I will, it'll be fun attitude that makes it easy to ask for his help.

I'm going to try to embrace a little of what Ryan's got, to say 'yes' and see where it leads.





No comments:

Post a Comment